I found a second baby kangaroo hanging in the fence down the back. He managed to hook his toes between to wires, loop one over the other and hang there. heaven knows how long he was there! he couldn't touch the ground, so just swinging up against the fence. I had to cut the fence to let him down, but he was there so long he had stretched the tendons in his legs and couldn't walk, let alone hop! He was also fly blown. His mum was still there, but I couldn't leave him...so bought him home. Karen and I bathed him to kill the maggots etc, wrapped him up and put him in a bag. I then gave him a drink of water - he wasn't that interested. Roos are easily stressed and we half expected him to not survive the night! He did, so I took him to the vet - who didn't give him much of a chance, but treated him and we took him home, fed him and he gradually got better! He still has to wear splints on his big toes (because he can't hold them straight and trips on them!), but can hop etc very well. It may take weeks for those tendons to repair.
Our other kangaroo has accepted him and they both have settle in well.
Just being part of the group activities at Inverness
2 comments:
is that dyan and lew hanging back in the shadows in that last photo?
That is Alex and Steven - the 'boys' were up for the Bathurst races
Post a Comment